Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Daddy's Chair



It doesn't look like much. It's been recovered a couple of times to fit my Mom's changing decor. It's not expensive, yet it's value far exceeds it's worth. To any visitor it is ordinary. Although this armchair sits empty now, the prayers that have been lifted from it's frame continue on. This is my Daddy's chair. For countless years my Dad has risen early and found his place here before God's throne. With Bible open on His knee, pen in hand, head and heart bowed, this is holy ground.

As a child I would often peek through the door and watch in silence. I knew I was eyewitness to the sacred. God spoke and my Dad listened and obeyed. Direction was sought and received. God's Word came alive and active in my Dad's life.

Over many years Dad's prayers for me brought life, encouraged character development, enabled me to handle peer pressure, petitioned God for my safety, earnestly sought a godly husband, offered forgiveness, endured hours on his knees during both piano and school exams, cried out to God through every disappointment, longing to take each of my heartaches on himself and taught me to always trust His heart.

His chair was a place of refuge from the storms of life. A place of communion with His Father. Although his chair sits empty, as Dad still remains in a hospital, and short of a miracle he'll never daily sit in this chair again, it is a symbol of my heritage. A heritage of a praying Father. Endless conversations were offered in silence and always heard by a loving God. A tattered Bible gives evidence of God's responses.

The chair is aging, and so is my Dad, yet both still hold firm to their foundation. Memories are held in my heart and echo treasured stories of events long passed. I have never for one moment doubted Dad's love for me. His life has made believing in a loving, Heavenly Father so natural and easy.

I don't ever remember my Dad raising His voice, except in praise and excitement. He is a refined, educated gentleman, but also a great tease, who loves to impersonate others, much to my mother's chagrin. Until this last illness, he embraced life to the full and lived each day with vigor.

Just yesterday while visiting Dad in the hospital I discovered a new note in his handwriting. He wrote, "I love all 4 of my girls. One really without measure, the mother of our lovely children. May her dreams all come true. May all that takes place be the perfect will of God and the foundation of my family and HIS WILL. PRAY. PRAY. PRAY. Thank You God! I love all my girls. It is the mother I love and she has never changed!!"

Here at 83, with mind now wandering and health failing, he still expresses such love for his family and for his God. His chair is empty, but his heart is full. Lord, please bless my Daddy today. Thank You for letting me grow up in the security of a father's love and under the umbrella of a father's prayers.

Happy Father's Day Dad. Love ya for always and forever,
"Bells"

My Dad and my Husband. The two men I celebrate with today.


14 comments:

Melinda said...

Thinking of you this day, as you hold tight to your daddy and to your memories and legacy.

Blessings on you all,
Melinda

Sita said...

A beautiful tribute to your Dad, Joy...blessings to you all this day..
Love, Sita

Beth E. said...

My heart and my prayers are with you. What a beautiful, touching, loving tribute to your dad. I wept as I read the loving words. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us, Joy.

Love,
Beth

Catherine said...

What a beautiful tribute to your precious dad Joy! He is a man continuing to seek after God's own heart even though his earthly body and mind sometimes fail him. It was wonderful to talk with him for a few minutes today. See you soon! Love ya.

Kathy Schwanke said...

Oh Joy, what a wonderful legacy, what wonderful memories the Lord has blessed you with.

Beautiful!

Sharon Sloan said...

Oh, this is beautiful. And what a treasure that you found that new handwritten note by your Daddy. That'll be a keeper! God is faithful to give you a gift like that from your daddy.

Leah Adams said...

How BEAUTIFUL!! What a wonderful tribute, Joy.

Father's Day is hard for me because I miss my Daddy so much. I'm glad you got to see your Daddy and spend a bit of time with him.

Praying for you!!

Leah

Runner Mom said...

So glad that you were able to spend precious time with your men yesterday! I know they both appreciated it. I loved the story of your dad's chair. Thank you for sharing!

Y'all are in my prayers--you already know that, but I just wanted to remind you again!
Lots of love,
Susan

Cheri Bunch said...

Dear Joy~
Such a beautiful tribute and testimony! What a beautiful legacy! I loved reading this. Your family is becoming very precious to me as you share these beautiful stories.
I did not grow up in a godly home. Scotty and I have played by ear trying to demonstrate godliness to our children. I pray that they will have such stories to pass on to their children.

God has blessed you with such wealth. Eternal wealth, a godly heritage. I am thanking Him for your heritage today, Joy! It has truly impacted my life!!!!

Love to you!
Cheri

Lutiemom said...

So excited to see an answer to prayer. I know you must have enjoyed having your daddy home for a day; even better was the surprise of a beautiful hand written note.

Gillian said...

God is good and His love endures forever....So glad that your Daddy was able to be in your home yesterday. Thanks for sharing your Daddy's legacy.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Is that not something? What a precious gift to receive from your father--words of blessing and commendation over your life, friend.

I imagine that chair has some more stories to write in the days to come. Tend to that friend, and sit awhile with it when you can.

These are the best treasures this world has to offer. I love you.

peace~elaine

Wendy Blight said...

Hi,

I have been praying for Wendy through this year as she leads her "walk through the Bible." As you lead this week, please know I will be praying for you and know God will use you to do a wonderful work both in your life and in the lives of those whom you are leading. I pray He will fill you with His Words and His Presence as you seek Him in His Word. I pray rich blessings be poured up on you as your pour out for your Father in Heaven.

What a lovely tribute to your Father.

Peace and Blessings,

Wendy

Tim and Susan said...

What a blessing to have such a legacy of faith!

Susan