Saturday, December 17, 2005

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades". One is luck, the other deadly.

I've been thinking about how often I've told people lately about the passing of my friend who took her own life. I keep telling everyone she was 'so close' to accepting the Lord. 'Close' doesn't count. There is no such thing as being 'almost saved'. If someone hasn't made a decision to follow the Lord they are no closer then the one who has never heard. If they die tomorrow their knowledge without personal acceptance doesn't put them 'close' to heaven - their destination remains hell.

Jesus is the Light. St. Augustine said, "It is of no advantage to be near the light...if the eyes are closed." Satan blinds the minds of those who are perishing (2 Cor.4:3-4). Only God can create the sense of need for Himself in a person and as Oswald Chambers says, "The only thing that can possibly satisfy the need is what created the need." God alone creates and satisfies.

Then, for those of us who claim to know Him - why do we live 'mostly free'? Ann Mainse writes that "Jesus doesn't give us freedom in doses". If the Son has set you free, you are free "through and through" John 8:36 (The Message).

I need to remove words like 'close', 'almost', and 'mostly' from my vocabulary when it comes to talking about salvation issues. We either are perishing, are saved and we can live completely free.

Don't be playing with horseshoes and hand grenades.

1 comment:

In His Steps said...

I have wrestled with those words as well. My husband is not saved and sometimes he feels "close" and other times, it feels like he is so far removed from Christ. I have learned that I just need to rest in Him. He knows the time, day and circumstances that will bring us to Himself.