Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

Yesterday I was commissioned as a "special agent" for my friend Moira. My mission, if I chose to accept it, was to travel to a little country store about 15 minutes north of my home to pick up some items she was having held for her there. She had travelled from out of town on the weekend to visit, "White Feather Country Store", and upon returning home had decided she HAD to have two articles she had left behind. In fact, she wanted them soooo badly, they were her first thought when she awoke the following morning. Thus, the e-mail that sent me on this specific duty.

When I arrived at the store, I decided to browse around quickly first before inquiring about the items Moira had on lay-away. This quaint little country store had expanded since my last visit and I was enjoying all the sights, sounds and smells. Beauty surrounded me. The aroma from the bakery tempted my tastebuds. Newborn little chicks were cheeping in an incubated home. I delighted in just strolling through the store, lost in a world of simplicity and pleasure.

Then...I saw it...the most amazing coat I had ever seen. There was only one. It was my size. I just had to try it on. A floor-length mirror revealed what I already knew - I felt great in that coat. I immediately understood what Joseph must have felt when his dad presented him with his coat of many colours. To be wrapped in a symphony of shades makes your heart sing. Thrilled with this purchase, I made my way to the check-out counter and to inquire about my friends items on hold.

The store clerk went to retrieve Moira's articles while I waited at the cashier. Suddenly a voice behind me said, "You and your friend have similar tastes". As I turned to look, the store clerk was approaching, holding the exact same coat in her hands! I couldn't believe it. Moira had chosen the very same jacket. Unbelievable! Now, the dilemma. Do I put my coat back or keep it? My thoughts went on a fast-track do I, don't I roller coaster. I finally rationalized that Moira lives a good hour and a half away from me, and we only see each other about once a year, so as long as I don't wear it when we are together, I concluded we'd be OK.

I hope all my sisters won't be jealous of my find and throw me in pit. I know I can guarantee they won't be bowing down to me!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Great coat!! Love the story. Great minds think alike...and great friends dress alike!